You just can’t beat a good old slow cooker soup! It’s so easy to throw together and needs no fussing over while it cooks. It took me all of 5 minutes to get the slow cooker going, then I had the afternoon free to do other things. I love not having to peel and cut up potatoes for this recipe! If I still had chopped onion and celery stocked in the freezer, it would have taken even less time.
I have updated this recipe to include stove top cooking directions.
Slow Cooker Best Potato Soup Ingredients
- 1 30-32 oz bag frozen diced hash browns
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup thin celery slices (optional)
- 4 – 5 cups chicken broth (depending on desired thickness)
- 1 can cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 8 oz pkg softened cream cheese (the Secret Ingredient) Add towards end of cooking time.
- NOTE: I had a 1# bag of diced ham that I added just because. The soup is excellent with or without it.
Optional for garnish:
- Shredded cheese
- Crumbled cooked bacon
Slow Cooker Directions
- In the slow cooker, pour the chicken broth into the slow cooker. Stir in the can of soup, and then add pepper, potatoes, onions and celery.
- Cook on HI 3 hours or LOW approximately 5 hours.
- Stir in the softened cream cheese. I mashed it on a paper plate and put in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, so that it is soft enough to melt in the soup quickly. Stir into the slow cooker and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Stove Top Directions
- In a large soup pan, stir together chicken broth and can of cream soup, then stir in the frozen diced hash browns, diced onion, thin celery slices and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat about 15 – 20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add in the softened cream cheese. I mashed it on a paper plate and put in the microwave for 15-20 seconds, so that it is soft enough to melt in the soup quickly. Stir into the hot vegetable mix and continue cooking for another 30 minutes.
Savor the Flavor of Slow Cooker Potato Soup
This rich and creamy potato soup is the ultimate comfort food, especially when served with hot cornbread or warm crusty rolls. Maybe add a side salad or a simple dessert, and you definitely have a drool-worthy meal.
My, oh my! Just thinking about it makes me hungry!