This old-fashioned Hamburger Steak & Potato dish is one of the easiest meals ever if you have a meat & potato lover in your family. It’s so quick and easy, taking only a few minutes to get it started cooking on a busy evening.
When I was growing up, my family had this every week or two with green beans and sliced tomatoes, and usually homemade biscuits for a classic, inexpensive meal. Who wouldn’t love to sit down to a simple meal like this?
As you can see from the pictures, this gravy is on the thin side. It is delicious and the perfect consistency, so that butter isn’t even needed for the potatoes. If you want a thicker gravy, see directions below the recipe.
I make this with 2 onions, because we love cooked onions and they are said to be super healthy.
Hamburger Steak & Potatoes
Prep 10 min Cook 35 – 45 min Serves 4
- 1# hamburger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Optional: 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 -4 potatoes, peeled and sliced (1/4″)
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced (1/4″)
- Mix seasonings into hamburger with hands (plus optional Worcestershire sauce, if desired)
- Shape into four 1/2″ thick hamburger patties
- In a hot frying pan over medium-high heat, cook hamburger steaks on each side until browned, about 5 minutes each side
- Add potato and onion slices to pan
- Pour 2 cups of water over the hamburger steaks, potatoes & onions (I usually shake a little salt and pepper over the potatoes at this point)
- Cover and cook on medium-low for 30 – 40 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through
Serve with a vegetable and biscuits or hot dinner roll for a stick to your ribs meal.
- Recipe can easily be doubled
- Substitute mushrooms for onions
- Add mushrooms with onions
- Eliminate sliced potatoes, and serve with mashed potatoes
- Eliminate sliced potatoes, and serve with rice
- If you want a thicker gravy, after cooking the meat and potatoes, remove the thin gravy to another pan, then stir in 2 Tbsp of my Homemade Brown Gravy Mix