I’ve decided that I want to follow the Mediterranean Diet for awhile. For the most part, the foods are suppose to be some of the healthiest foods on earth. After going in for my annual checkup last week, which included lab work, my lab results indicate I should eat healthier. It just blows me away that the medicines prescribed for ailments to “cure” you, can in fact be detrimental to your health. Go figure….
I had already collected a bunch of info and recipes a couple of years ago, so it was just a matter of digging out my notebooks and getting everything organized. And maybe mustering up some will-power. Eating the Mediterranean foods won’t be a problem. NOT eating the cookies, chips, crackers, bread, etc
may will be difficult.
On the last grocery shopping day, I bought a couple of packages of chicken thighs on sale, so I decided to make a Mediterranean-style sheet pan meal using chicken thighs with potatoes and carrots. I also added some red bell peppers from the freezer, the last few tomatoes from the garden that I had put in the fridge and then added some minced garlic for good measure (it’s super healthy, plus keeps the vampires away…or so I’ve heard). Toss with a couple of good splashes of olive oil and a few seasonings, throw it in the oven, and there you have an easy to cook and serve sheet pan meal!
We thoroughly enjoyed this meal for dinner that evening, plus lunch the next day.
Mediterranean Chicken Thighs
Prep 10 minutes Cook 50-55 minutes Serves 4
- 8 chicken thighs or 4 breasts
- olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, scrubbed & cut into small chunks
- 3 large carrots, peeled & cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, remove seeds & cut into strips
- salt & pepper
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Optional:1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or parsley
- Preheat oven to 400° F (205° C)
- Rinse chicken, cut off large fat chunks, then pat dry with paper towel.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- If using skin-on chicken, heat the oil in a large skillet, lightly brown the chicken on both sides. (I used skin-less thighs, so I did not brown them in a skillet)
- Put the potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, red bell peppers, garlic, and oregano on a rimmed baking sheet. Add a a couple of splashes of olive oil, then toss until the vegetables are coated with oil. (I used a basting brush)
- Spread the vegetables out on the pan, then nestle the chicken pieces in between the vegetables.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh oregano or parsley to serve.