Streusel is rough crumb mixture of flour, butter and sugar, then additional ingredients such as spices, chopped nuts or oatmeal are added to the mix, making it a perfect topping to compliment cakes, muffins, pies or sweet breads. I like to use it on cakes, thus eliminating the need for frosting.
I wanted to make my favorite easy Pumpkin Spice Cake to take to a meeting. I knew of one person attending with a nut allergy, so I used oatmeal instead of chopped nuts in the streusel, serving it with a container of whipped topping on the side.
Since I wanted a heartier fall cake for the streusel topping, I used a spice cake mix instead of yellow and added an extra egg to the cake mix.
Oatmeal Streusel Crumb Topping
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal (old fashioned works better than quick cooking oats)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 shakes salt (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup COLD butter
- Mix everything but the butter in a medium mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour and sugar mixture until it’s dry looking and a large crumbly mix.
- Sprinkle the crumbs over prepared cake or pie.
- Bake as directed for your cake or pie or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Mine took an extra 5 minutes.