I had been wanting to make a pot of White Chicken Chili for some time. Although it sounded interesting, I wasn’t sure whether either of us would like it. We are both a little picky in our own ways, usually involving a dislike of different foods. The first challenge was figuring out which ingredients we both liked. I also wanted a simple recipe with few ingredients that were readily available in my kitchen. Brownie points if it could utilize leftovers.
With my regular chili recipe in mind, I worked out the main ingredient swaps. I then added a bit of this and a bit of that, and it turned out fantastic! We both loved it! And it was super easy to make!
Short cut ideas: The second time I made this, I didn’t want to go to town to buy the canned beans, so I cooked a 1# bag of beans in the Instant Pot. I had a large cooked chicken breast in the freezer that I thawed and cut in thin slices. Leftover rotisserie chicken would work great, too. I had homemade chicken broth in the freezer, but using powdered chicken broth mixed in 4 cups of water would work too.
Although I used cream cheese in this chili, other recipes I saw used sour cream and shredded cheese stirred into the chili. The cream cheese gave it the perfect amount of creaminess, without making it a cream soup. I didn’t feel like it needed the twang of the sour cream, nor the extra cheese. The green chilis added a nice flavor, but if you want it hotter, substitute diced jalapenos for the green chilis.
White Chicken Chili
Prep 5 minutes Cook 30 minutes Serves 8 Print recipe
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cans (15.5 oz) Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chilis
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 -3 teaspoons (3 cloves) minced garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 ounces soften cream cheese
- Optional: shredded Mexican blend cheese
- In a large pot, add the onions and broth. Bring the broth to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken, green chilis, cumin and garlic.
- Simmer on medium-low 30 minutes.
- Stir in soften cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with shredded cheese if desired.
Serve with crackers, cornbread or make my Johnny Cakes.
I hope you enjoy this White Chicken Chili as much as we did!