When I first noticed these on the Dairy Queen menu board one October a few years ago, it took me quite a while to finally decide to order one. It seriously did not sound good to me. But once I did, it was love at first bite! I knew I could easily go overboard on these, so I limited myself to two a week.
Fast forward to a few weeks later….I ordered one at the drive-thru window and I was informed that it is a seasonal item and they only serve them for Halloween. It was November 2nd.
What? Really? Isn’t pumpkin pie a traditional Thanksgiving dessert?
Needless to say, I had to wait eleven months to get another one.
The following summer, I started growing my own sugar baby pumpkins just so I could stock my freezer with plenty of homemade pumpkin puree.
I finally learned how to make my own! And that may or not be a good thing….
Copycat Pumpkin Pie Blizzard
Prep 5 mins Servings 2
- 3 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup cookies, lightly crushed (use graham crackers, vanilla wafers, butter cookies or shortbread cookies)
- Whipped topping
- Optional Garnish: ground cinnamon or nutmeg, or cookie crumbs sprinkled on top of whipped cream
- Optional Garnish: a couple of cookies in top of the whipped topping.
- In a blender, mix together pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice
- Mix in ice cream
- Add crushed cookies to the blender. Pulse for 15 – 20 seconds
To serve, pour into two glasses, garnish with whipped topping and a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg or cookie crumbs.