I love happy accidents!
Now for my recipe…
Oven-Baked “Fried” Zucchini Slices
- 1 (large) zucchini, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I had home-made crumbs in the freezer)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (in the sprinkle can)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup milk for (dipping)
Note: One of my new blogging friends suggested substituting crushed pork rinds for the bread crumbs in the Parmesan Roasted Green Beans to keep it low-carb and Keto friendly. I am sure it would work great for the coating on this recipe too. Let me know if you try it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly grease the baking sheet.
- In a mixing bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, garlic & onion powders.
- Dip zucchini slices into milk, then lay on top of the bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumb mix on top of the slices, and then firmly press the bread crumbs into the zucchini. This also presses the breadcrumbs into the bottom side.
- Arrange zucchini slices on the baking sheet.
- Bake 15 – 20 minutes, carefully turn slices over with a spatula. I found using a fork to turn each slice, that part of the coating stuck to the pan.
- Continue baking another 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown. Depending on the thickness of the slices, they may need to bake another 10 minutes.
Note: The second time I made these, I sprinkled a little finely shredded Parmesan cheese on the slices after turning in step 6…just to bump up the flavor a little.
There was just enough breadcrumb coating to give them a little crunch. I was surprised that the coating pretty much stayed on the slices.
These are so good, that I have made these twice in the past week. The second time, while eating dinner, my sweet Hubby says “I want to tell you I don’t like these…but I can’t.”
Gotta love the honesty!
Please share on Pinterest!