We were having a little sweet-craving recently and since I had nothing ready-made stashed in the cupboard or freezer, that meant I had to whip something up. You probably know by now that I rarely make anything that isn’t quick and easy. I remembered this simple, but delicious treat that I made months ago, so off to the kitchen I went.
This is one of those recipes that you probably have most of the ingredients to make it, except for possibly the coconut. I happened to have the coconut, because I bought several bags on sale last holiday season and had those in the freezer in freezer bags. I also usually have several partial loaves of bread in the freezer, so I don’t even need to use the fresh sliced bread.
I’d love to tell you that this was a healthy, low calorie treat…but I can’t. However, you could shave some calories off by using half the sugar, unsweetened coconut and a lower calorie bread.
This little gooey treat tastes kind of like Coconut Pie and is perfect for breakfast or snack. I’m the one with a sweet tooth, but Hubby likes it, too!
- 1 cup sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 12 slices white bread
- Print recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, butter, egg, coconut and vanilla. Stir together well.
- Lay the bread slices out on an un-greased baking sheet
- Spread coconut mixture over each slice of bread
- Bake 20 minutes at 350°, or until lightly browned. May need to broil for 1 -2 minutes to lightly brown the coconut.
Leftover Coconut Toast is pretty good cold, but I prefer it reheated in the microwave for 10 seconds. It also freezes well. Thaw out completely to reheat.
This stuff is SO GOOD!
I’m almost ashamed to say that we’re worse than kids sometimes about wanting evening snacks. We try NOT to keep too many sweets in the house and we do try to alternate between healthy and not-so-healthy treats.
If you love coconut, you’ll love Coconut Toast!