Do you ever see a picture of a food dish that looks really good and you really want to make it, but you aren’t sure if would like it? After scanning a few versions for this recipe, I saw that it was pretty basic and had just a few ingredients. I loved all but one of the ingredients, and I knew that one was the key ingredient for the flavor. The one ingredient that kept me from trying it was the Salsa Verde. I just knew I wasn’t going to like it. One because it was a green sauce, and two because it had jalapenos in it.
I don’t eat hot stuff very often, with the exception of my jalapeno poppers and Stuffed Poblano Peppers. After reminding myself that my poppers have 3 of the main ingredients of the Salsa Verde Chicken, I decided what the heck! We had hot dogs if Hubby didn’t like this dish. That was a stipulation in our marriage contract.
I was totally amazed at the flavor in this dish. Creamy cheesy topping over melt-in-your-mouth chicken with a hint of heat, but not too much. Dare I say it’s addictive? Hubby loved it, too! So this is definitely a keeper! I’m already making plans for that half-full jar of Salsa Verde in the fridge.
It is super simple to put together and leftovers reheat beautifully and is just as delicious the second time around. We have reheated it in our NuWave Oven for 3 -4 minutes. I’m pretty sure it would heat well in a microwave too, but we got rid of ours so I don’t know that to be fact.
Since there’s only two of us, I made half a recipe and baked it in my 8″ square Pyrex Easy Grab Glass baking dish.
Salsa Verde Chicken
Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 30 – 35 minutes Serves 4
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 – 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning (I used my homemade Fajita seasoning)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (I used a shredded blend)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Lightly oil casserole dish with olive oil, then arrange chicken in dish and brush with a little olive oil.
- Spread the softened cream cheese over the chicken. (My cream cheese wasn’t very soft, so I had to smash it down after 15 minutes in the oven)
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and fajita seasoning over the cream cheese.
- Pour the salsa verde over the chicken and cream cheese.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella across the top. (I added the shredded cheese after 20 minutes of baking)
Bake at 400°F (200°C) on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165˚F (75°C) and the juices run clear.
I serve this with cauliflower rice for a Keto/Low Carb dinner, but it would be equally delicious with regular rice or egg noodles, steamed broccoli or vegetable mix, or sliced tomatoes.