This hearty casserole takes only 10 minutes to prep, then into the oven for a super easy dinner. Add a salad or your favorite vegetable side to round out the meal. Asparagus, broccoli or carrots all go well with chicken and rice dishes.
Baked Chicken & Rice Casserole
Although not totally neccessary, for maximum flavor, sauté the red onion and toast the brown rice in the skillet first, and then remove before the adding the chicken. When finished browning the chicken, deglaze the pan with some of the chicken broth to scrape up any brown bits left on the bottom of skillet. When finished, transfer the liquid from the skillet to the casserole dish with the rest of the chicken broth.
Prep 10 minutes Cook Approximately 1 hour Serves 4
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (4 ounce each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 cup chicken broth, preferably organic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F/177°C and then grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook until golden brown, approximately 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add onion and rice to the prepared baking dish. Season with salt and black pepper, if desired, and stir to combine. Pour the chicken broth over the rice and arrange the seared breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Tightly cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before fluffing the rice with a fork.
Serve immediately and enjoy!