This weather has been unbelievable across the country! The temperature was down to 4° last night here in my part of Kentucky and it’s been lightly snowing on top of the ice and snow already on the ground. Round 3 starts this evening and goes through Friday morning. Although our roads are plowed and salted, they are still treacherous to drive on, so we are staying home. We have been fortunate so far in not losing power or having our water lines freeze up. Luckily we were both physically capable of preparing for this storm ahead of time. My heart breaks for those that are suffering from lack of power and/or heat and for those that are not even use to this kind of winter weather.
We have been eating a lot of soup these last few day. There’s just something about a warm bowl of comforting soup to soothe the soul on cold winter days. This one is full of awesome flavors that I’m sure you’ll love! I added a salad to round out our meal.
This soup is pretty quick to put together, but I usually use a little short cut which saves a little more time and is particularly helpful for super busy nights. I keep cooked hamburger in my freezer, and generally have a a few slices of cooked bacon in the fridge or freezer. I have also used frozen cauliflower instead of fresh cauliflower in this recipe. All together, using the frozen items saves about10-15 minutes.
One Skillet Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes, Cook time: 20 minutes, Serves: 6
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 lbs. 80% lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- ½ large head cauliflower, chopped small
- 3 cup beef broth, divided
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, tempered
- 3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Garnish: 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cups baby arugula
- 12 grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 oz. Pecorino-Romano cheese, shaved (can substitute Parmesan, Asiago or your favorite cheese)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy, approximately 6-7 minutes. Transfer cooked bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and blot off excess grease. Drain and discard bacon grease from skillet before returning to the cook top.
- Add ground beef to the same skillet and sprinkle the onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and smoked paprika on top. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped cauliflower and beef broth to the skillet and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer until heated through and the cauliflower is fork tender, but not mushy, approximately 7-8 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the side salad by adding the baby arugula, grape tomatoes, and the Pecorino-Romano cheese to a large bowl. Add the olive oil and fresh lime juice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Set aside.
- When the cauliflower is fork tender, remove the skillet from heat. To prevent curdling, temper the heavy cream by adding one or two tablespoons of the hot liquid from the skillet to it. Stir the tempered cream and sharp cheddar cheese into the skillet until the cheese is thoroughly melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual serving bowls. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle on top of each bowl along with the fresh chopped parsley. Serve immediately with some of the arugula salad on the side.