My two favorite meals in one: a flavorful Mexican-inspired beefy meal and a quick and easy skillet meal! This skillet takes no more than 30 minutes. 15 minutes if your taco seasoning is already mixed up and you have already cooked ground beef, either leftover or from the freezer and thawed.
This easy and versatile 30-minute beef taco skillet can be served a couple of ways. For a delicious main course, serve with shredded lettuce, salsa, chopped tomatoes, extra cheese, and some warm corn taco shells or large lettuce leaves for wrapping, or spoon onto a bed of lettuce for a taco salad. For a hearty appetizer, as shown here, top with diced tomatoes, green onion, avocado, plus a little extra cheese right before serving. Serve with tortilla chips
To keep this low car and keto-friendly, skip the taco shells and tortilla chips.
Because Hubby and I have been eating the Keto way off and on for the better part of the last year and a half, it’s nice to have meals like this that with a simple tweak can be keto-friendly to help keep those pounds from piling back on.
This recipe is also perfect if you are eating low-carb but the rest of the family isn’t.
Easy Beef Taco Skillet
Prep 15 minutes, Cook 15 minutes, Serves 4-6
Taco Seasoning ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (can substitute 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves)
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Optional: ¼ – ½ t. cayenne pepper for a little extra heat
Taco Seasoning recipe can easily be doubled or tripled. Remaining taco seasoning can be stored in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid for several months.
Beef Taco Skillet Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ lbs. ground beef (80% lean)
- 2 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 (10-oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes with green chilis, drained (plain diced tomatoes will work just as well)
- 4 oz. shredded Mexican-blend cheese (plus extra for serving or topping)
Optional, to Serve:
For tacos: Taco shells or lettuce wraps, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and/or extra cheese.
For nachos: tortilla chips, diced fresh tomatoes, sliced green onions, and/or avocado
- Prepare the taco seasoning by combining all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. Add diced onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to combine and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and develops some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add beef to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess fat from skillet.
- Add taco seasoning, fire-roasted tomatoes, green chilis and then stir to combine. Stirring frequently, cook until tomatoes are heated through, and the beef mixture is thoroughly coated in the taco seasoning, approximately 2-3 minutes. Taste, and add additional taco seasoning, if desired.
- Remove from heat and top with shredded cheese. Cover for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately with desired accompaniments.