This hearty one skillet meal is inspired by the flavors of the classic Louisiana dish. However, this version comes together in one pot, rather than served with cooked white rice on the side. Although this dish offers a distinctly different visual presentation from the classic version, the robust flavor profile makes for a very satisfying meal.
The classic “Cajun trinity” sets the flavor profile of this dish. This distinctive aromatic blend is similar to the French mirepoix or the Italian soffritto, but diced green peppers are used in place of carrots in this popular flavor base. The most common ratio for the Cajun trinity is one-part onion, one-part celery and one-part green pepper. However, feel free to experiment with this ratio to find a combination that works for you.
Time Saving Kitchen Tips
At one time, I would shy away from recipes that had an arm’s length list of ingredients until I came up with a few shortcuts. Starting totally from scratch, this recipe has 19 ingredients, but if you follow my shortcuts, you can knock it down to just 6 or 7 ingredients.
- If you garden and have a good crop, dice up peppers and onions and freeze in freezer bags. I fix some bags up individually and a few mixed together. I don’t grow celery but on occasion have used store bought to add to the mix.
- You can buy already-prepared frozen seasoning mix which includes onions, celery, red peppers, green peppers and parsley flakes, which costs about $1.16 for a 10 oz bag at Walmart. These are super handy to have stashed in the freezer!
- You can purchase pre-made Cajun seasoning. (Affiliate links to two options are included below) However, it’s super easy to prepare at home and then store the excess seasoning in an airtight container for several months. As a bonus, homemade spice blends won’t include the preservatives found in prepared versions. Plus, preparing your own Cajun blend will allow you to control the level of heat by adjusting the amount of cayenne pepper used.
Cajun Red Beans & Rice Skillet
Prep time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 35-40 minutes, Serves: 4-6
Cajun Seasoning Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
½ Tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
3 (3-oz) Cajun Andouille sausage links, sliced
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped white onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
½ cup chopped red bell pepper
1-2 Tablespoons Cajun seasoning, divided
1 cup basmati rice*
2 cup chicken broth or water
2 15-oz. cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
3 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
*Recipe developed and tested with basmati rice. Cook time will vary if using different types of rice. Check package instructions and adjust accordingly.
- Prepare the Cajun seasoning by combining all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir to combine and transfer to an airtight container. Set aside.
- Add Andouille sausage to a large skillet set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is browned on each side, approximately 4-5 minutes. Transfer browned sausage to a plate and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet and increase to medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and red pepper. Sprinkle with one tablespoon Cajun seasoning and stir to combine. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add remaining olive oil and the rice to the skillet. Toast the rice for 1-2 minutes, while stirring continually. Add the chicken broth and deglaze the skillet by lightly scraping the bottom with a spatula or wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove lid and add the browned Andouille sausage, kidney beans, and additional Cajun seasoning, if desired. Stir to combine and cover for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the fresh parsley. Fluff the rice with a fork while stirring the parsley into the mixture. Serve immediately.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no additional cost to you.