Skillet meals are perfect when you need a quick meal, and this easy recipe with only 5 ingredients puts a new spin on the classic pairing of turkey and sweet potatoes that can be ready to serve in 30-40 minutes. Even less time if you use pre-cooked sausage. This recipe is equally delicious with or without the cheese.
I’ve shared before about my meal-prepping tip of pre-cooking ground beef for the freezer, and the same tip applies for pork sausage and turkey sausage. It doesn’t sound like much, but if you are tired or in a hurry, saving 10- or 15-minutes time on dinner preparation is a huge help.
Diced cooked turkey or pork roast is a wonderful substitution in this recipe too. We like to cook a turkey or large roast so that we can have it for two meals, plus have extra that I generally freeze in thick slices or large chunks in meal size portions. It’s just so easy to grab cooked and ready to use meat out of the freezer for a quick meal.
If you have leftovers of the skillet meal, it’s also pretty tasty in a quesadilla for lunch the next day.
5-Ingredient Turkey and Sweet Potato Skillet
Recipe can easily be doubled for larger families.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes, Cook time: 20-25 minutes, Serves: 4
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. bulk turkey sausage
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 12-oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- ¾ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Optional: Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the turkey sausage and season with salt and black pepper, if desired. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is slightly browned and no longer pink, around 6-8 minutes. While cooking, break up the sausage into small chunks with a spatula.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the skillet and continue cooking until they become soft and slightly crisp around the edges, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Stir to combine. Cover and allow the broccoli to steam for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove lid and sprinkle the shredded Mozzarella on top. Cover for another 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted. Remove from heat and serve immediately.