This lighter tasting Garden Fresh Vegetable Soup is perfect for end of summer meals. It’s delicious and filling without being too heavy. I like to serve it with a side salad and a crusty bread. It can be made with vegetables fresh from the garden or picked up from the farmer’s market, or whatever fresh vegetables and herbs you happen to have on hand that need to be used.
Instant Pot Garden Fresh Vegetable Soup
Prep 20 minutes, Active cook time 7-8 minutes (+ time to come to pressure),
Natural Release 10 minutes, Serves 4-6
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
4 large stalks celery, chopped
4 large carrots, sliced
1 medium red onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 lb. red potatoes, quartered
2 whole bay leaves
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
2 cup fresh arugula
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Parmesan cheese, freshly shaved or grated (skip the cheese to be Whole 30 compliant)
Tip: Tougher herbs, such as rosemary and thyme, can be added prior to cooking, while more tender options, such as basil and parsley, should be stirred in when the arugula is added. (Discard the woody stems for the tougher herbs before serving).
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the “Sauté” function. Add garlic, celery, carrots, red onion, and crushed red pepper flakes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine.
- Sauté, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and the vegetables start to develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Add broth and stir to combine, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pot in the process. Turn the unit off.
- Add potatoes, bay leaves, and chopped tomatoes to the pot. Add lid and lock into place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and set the “Manual” setting to 3 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and discard the bay leaves. Stir in fresh arugula and lime juice, and season with additional salt and black pepper, if desired. Stir to combine.
- Serve immediately topped with freshly shaved or grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.