Can a person have more than one favorite food in any single category? I say yes, because Chicken Fajita Soup is another favorite soup of ours. This Instant Pot soup comes together quickly and is absolutely delicious. We love the spiciness of Mexican food, especially when eating low carb because then we don’t feel like we are missing out.
If following a keto or low carb eating plan, skip the black beans. Sometimes if we are really hungry and I want to bulk up this soup a bit, I’ll add some cauliflower rice after shredding the chicken in step 4 to keep our carb count down.
This soup can easily be made on the stove top too. I like to keep a few cooked cubed chicken breasts in the freezer, so it’s super easy to throw this soup together in about the same time as the Instant Pot recipe.
Chicken Fajita Soup
Prep time: 15 min Serves: 4-6
Active cook time: 15 minutes (+ time to come to pressure and 10 min. natural release)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium red onion, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, with liquid (fire roasted is my favorite)
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or my Homemade Fajita Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed (skip to keep low carb)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Optional to keep keto/low carb: cauliflower rice
- Optional: a shake or two of red pepper flakes for a little heat
Optional Ingredients for Garnish:
Choose 2 or 3 of the following for garnish:
- 2 large avocados, sliced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Sour Cream
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, taco (or fajita) seasoning and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, sour cream and fresh cilantro, if desired.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites at no additional cost to you.
I have the Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker. It’s 6 Quart Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté pan, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer. Cooks for up to 6 people and is good for meal prepping and batch cooking.