This super healthy skillet chicken dish is so easy to make for a quick 30 minute meal. I love that it includes superfoods tomatoes and spinach, both rich in vitamin A, C, and E, and loaded with antioxidants. The recipe also includes a whole onion, which is an anti-inflammatory food and contains vitamin C (a powerful antioxidant).
But does it taste good? Oh, yeah! It’s one of my favorite chicken meals and Hubby just raved about it.
Pin it here to read later!
Serve this with a baked potato, or over pasta or rice for a super healthy filling meal.
Now I have to tell you that Hubby and I are trying to eat healthier, but somehow I missed the memo that plain white potatoes are now considered heart healthy. So we are having baked potatoes with a little butter with this meal.
Easy Chicken Skillet with Spinach and Tomatoes
Prep 5 min Cook time 25 min Serves 5 – 6
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs) cut each into 3 long strips
- 1 medium or large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 pkg baby spinach leaves (6 oz)
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium/high heat. Cook chicken about 5 minutes on each side until slightly browned
- Add chopped onion, then cook about 5 minutes
- Stir in tomatoes, water and all of the seasonings. Heat to boil, then reduce heat to low. Stir everything together, then cover and simmer 3-5 minutes
- Stir in spinach, cook 2-4 minutes until spinach is wilted
Note: I’ve used either fresh or frozen spinach in this skillet, and as well as fresh, canned or frozen tomatoes. They all work well.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
This means we may garner a small commission at no cost to you if you choose to make a purchase.
This large deep pan with a glass lid is our favorite for skillet and one-pot meals, and it works great for soups, chili and spaghetti sauce, or for frying. It comes with a steamer basket which we use to make enough steamed vegetables for a couple of meals. The fondue set is pretty cool too! Cleanup is a breeze.
We use our Nu Wave PIC everyday. We use the small skillet for making omelets, to cook a can of soup or vegetables, or to reheat leftovers.
Like this post? Pin it here for later reference!
Let me know what you think!