This healthy and flavorful dish was so easy to make! I had a package of chicken thighs in the freezer that I wanted to use and they worked perfectly, although thin chicken breasts could easily be substituted. Fresh bell peppers are listed in the ingredients, but I used a quart bag of my frozen colorful pepper strips instead. I did thaw the bag of peppers in a bowl of water before using.
This meal could have been served simply with either mashed or baked potatoes, but we thawed and heated a package of my Slow Cooker Refried Beans from the freezer and also made up a box of Beef Rice-A-Roni.
The leftovers were just as delicious as the first meal!
Fajita Style Chicken Thighs
Prep 5 -10 minutes Bake 1 hour Serves 4 – 6
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced vertically for strips
- approximately 1 tsp paprika
- approximately 1 tsp cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: salsa (I used my Homemade Salsa Mix and canned diced tomatoes)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F/190°C (see note below)
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of a 9 x 13 roasting pan, then spread peppers and onions evenly
- Place chicken thighs on top of vegetables
- Brush chicken with a little olive oil
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, paprika and cumin on top of chicken (I just gave a couple of good sprinkles of each over each piece of chicken)
- Loosely cover the pan with foil and bake for about 30 minutes
- Remove foil and continue baking approximately 30 minutes, or until chicken is done (see note below)
If desired, add a large spoonful of salsa on top of each chicken thigh before serving.
Note: I used my large Pyrex baking dish, so I set the temperature at 325°F/165°C and baked for a total of 1 hour 10 minutes. Check for doneness with meat thermometer. Chicken is fully cooked at 165°F/ 73.9°C) .
Doesn’t that dish look yummy?